Has anyone else seen this show? It is like a train wreck that I cannot take my eyes off. I always thought that I was cheap, but honestly, apparently you are not cheap until you either stop buying toilet paper or stop doing laundry. Take a minute to watch the clip below.
This lady has completely fallen off the cheap train.
So from what I've seen of the show, below are the signs that you might be an "Extreme Cheapskate"
1. Dumpster Diving
- ok, we all did this in college for our furniture, but do you remember how excited you were to
buy real, new stuff once you were out and had a job? Certainly, no one I know has done this
2. Not doing laundry - this is pretty common with this show, most of their clothes they hand wash
while they are in the shower. My biggest question? How do they wash their towels?
3. Paying with change.
This show did get me thinking about my own behavior. Things I do, that some might consider 'cheap'
1. I take my own coffee to work - Let me explain this. I need coffee, 1st thing in the morning. I like
to slip it while I drive to work. So, it's hard to make enough for just one cup, and I felt like I was
wasting coffee, so I take a thermos to work, I will also mention that the coffee at work is terrible.
2. I try not to waste anything. I make croutons and breadcrumbs from leftover bread, breads with
leftover fruits and nuts.
3. I LOVE coupons. Love them, I'm not a hoarder (ok, I have 9 bottles of laundry soap right now,
but they were a really good deal I couldn't pass it up!) with them, but I LOVE a deal. Did I also
mention I love free stuff?
4. I shop alot at the dollar store. Great place for wrapping paper, crafting and project supplies.
5. I love the clearance rack, and not only at Target.
6. I hang alot of clothes up to dry rather that using the dryer. Not so much as I concerned about the energy bills, it's more like I want to stop the shrinkage.
I do promise that I buy toilet paper, but I steal soaps and shampoos (and shower caps) from hotels. I think that my husband would divorce me if I cut that out of the budget. If you would like to know more about show. Check out "Extreme Cheapskates" on TLC, Wednesday nights at 9:00 pm EST.
So, what are your cheapskate secrets?